Thursday, September 07, 2006

PERCEPTION OF RACE


IS RACE AND MONEY THE SAME?

I am back out to work now and boy do I wish I was on holiday again. Its hard to say but I don't know which saps my energy more, the tropical sun or my employees. I get up at a very early hour and drag myself to work knowing full well that I would be on my feet for about 6 hours. Anyway its been getting better and talking to God when it becomes really unbearable helps.

So, your wondering about the title of this post, well of late too many people have been pointing out my race and its been getting very annoying. About 3 months ago my wife and I were cutting some trees in the yard of our very demanding and pain inducing landlady from hell when a number of people passed by seeking a job to cut the trees. I told them that if I had money that I would gladly give them a job. I went on to say that because I had no money I was doing it myself and the reply was that "YOU WHITE AND YOU ALWAYS HAVE MONEY". Now this perception occurs to much in my society and it is one that really gets to me. I have never associated the colour of my skin or for that matter anyone's colour with money.

I know that people would say that this is a perception rooted in slavery, where the planter was seen as the one controlling the fourtunes, but I am not a planter nor am I holding foutunes in my hand. I am just a hard working, God fearing family man. I have mentioned before that people are always associating one thing or other to race and it just confirms to me how narrow minded and ignorant people are.

Thats all I want to say for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home